Have you been added to a Google Calendar for your group but would you’d rather view it in your Apple Calendar?
How to make this happen seems to be poorly documented elsewhere so hopefully the following can save you some time.
In Google Calendar
Let’s get the iCal URL for the calendar you want to view in Apple Calendar.
- Open Google Calendar
- On the left hand side of the calendar view, you should see a list of calendars that you have under My Calendars and Other Calendars
- Hover over the calendar you want and click the menu button (a downward arrow) that appears next to it.
- From that menu, select “Calendar settings”.
- In the settings page, in the “Calendar Address” section, click “ICAL”.
- Copy the link in the pop-up window.
In Apple Calendar
Now we just subscribe to the Google Calendar you selected above.
- Open Apple Calendar
- In the menu, go to File > New Calendar Subscription…
- In the pop-up window, paste the Google Calendar link that you copied earlier in the “Calendar URL” text area.
- Hit subscribe, and you’re done. In my case, the calendar syncs through iCloud to all of my devices.
At least, this is how it worked for me. Good luck!
Depending on what you want, one possible drawback is that the calendar will be read-only in Apple Calendar. For my situation, this was exactly what I was going for.
In the end, it seems to me that competition among these companies for your calendar is making the world a slightly crappier place.